Monday, October 12, 2009

Hope and change both good words

I think I’ll change the conversation, at least for me if not for anyone else. The fact that the President won the Nobel Prize is fact and now part of history. If one wishes to continue to debate this fact, then let them so do but it is a waste of energy and no one should waste energy. I will also continue to believe in change and hope. For if one could never change, then I would still perhaps be a racists. I was born in the Deep South in 1942 and “whites only” was the standard on drinking fountains, and also eating establishments, hotels, and of course schools. I never questioned this-----why should I, as we had Evergreen who was my grandmother’s----in those days we said “servants” and that is probably exactly what they were. At any rate, in my 30’s I met an Episcopal Priest that changed my world view forever. So yes, I believe people can change and then so can a world.

Hope is also a word I will continue to hold on to, as without hope we become a people of “no hope” and I chose not to be part of that group. Why would we shy away from a President that speaks of “hope and change”, when it could lead to peace? If a man can change, so can others and if others can, so can a nation and so can a world. Imagine if tomorrow every person in the world said, “Today is peace” then it would be. Impossible you say? Then take a dose of hope and change and call me in the morning. What kind of world do you wish to live in? Why not work toward higher ideals? Believing in a better world does not mean we must ignore the reality of today nor our history but we can change the world, just as the world was changed my Gandhi and Dr. King. Just as it was changed by Jesus and Lincoln.

Maybe John Lennon said what I am trying to say when he said, “If someone thinks that love and peace is a cliché that must have been left behind in the Sixties, that's his problem. Love and peace are eternal. That is the world I will work for and for those that say it’s too late, never be like that, naïve, I say, “that is your problem”.

No comments: